AZCAN aims to produce armored vehicles suited to the needs of the region – INTERVIEW
Establishing of local facilitiy is top priority of AZCAN
Interview questions of AZERI DEFENCE magazine to CEO of AZCAN company Roman Shimonov.
– Mr.Shimonov could you please give us an information about creation of AZCAN company and areas of its functioning?
– AZCAN is a joint venture representing both Canada and Azerbaijan within security and defence sectors. With more than 20 years of industry experience AZCAN founders aim to implement Canadian and Azerbaijan expertise as well as local and international labor and resources in order to deliver advanced security solutions for civilian, special purpose or military use. AZCAN armored vehicles are engineered to provide the utmost level of protection to their operators and passengers as well as meet the highest international standards due to their first-class assembly, certified armor and modern electronic components.
– What are aims of AZCAN for close and far perspective? What can you say about your plans for cooperation with Azerbaijan and international markets?
– AZCAN aims to deliver innovative defence solutions to its global clients in the form of armored vehicle manufacturing and deployment, personal security products and services, and 1-to-1 security consultations for private, commercial and institutional clients alike. We believe that Azerbaijan is a truly unique country due to its geographical position and enormous technological potential. By opening a local manufacturing facility in Azerbaijan, AZCAN aims to produce armored vehicles suited to the needs of the region. Our strategic goal is to utilize our Canadian expertise and innovative approach to establish local production of armored vehicles in order to contribute to the Azerbaijani economy by creating employment opportunities and paying taxes to the local and state authorities.
– Besides MIA of Azerbaijan, which other authorities you’d like to supply with you vehicles? If it is not secret, please provide us information about your main customers.
– In addition to the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Azerbaijan Republic who provided us with positive feedback on the supplied vehicles, we are now in process of signing contracts with other law enforcement agencies. Moreover, AZCAN has entered into the agreement with the Central Bank of Azerbaijan Republic. However, currently, our main focus is export markets. We believe that Azerbaijan due to its geographical position and enourmous human and technological resources could become one of the leading world suppliers of armored vehicles, and AZCAN would like to be a part of this process.
– Mr.Shimonov, please, also give us information about production and export capacity of AZCAN. What kind of vehicles do you produce? What are advantages of these vehicles in comparison with its analogues?
– AZCAN produces a wide range of armored vehicles such as world-class armored SUVs and sedans, cash-in-transit trucks and special purpose millitary and tactical vehicles. All our products, including materials and compoments, are tested and certified according to the latest international standards. AZCAN armored vehicles are ready for the immediate deployment worldwide. By offering one of the fastest turnaround time in the industry, AZCAN fulfills all orders regarddless the size within the promised timeframe. The proposed benefit of AZCAN is a unique amalgamation of components and technologies which allows us to better equip the vehicles and enhance their applicability within various environments and scenarios. In doing so, AZCAN is offering to accomodate a multitude of special purpose vehicles meticulously crafted to carry out their given tasks with complete confidence, prowess and dependability.
For its armored vehicles, AZCAN offers special applications and tactical equipment including large spectrum chemical protection, integrated remote weapon control systems, advanced drone and fire detection devices, remote explosives signal jamming and a wide range of riot control and crowd dispersal solutions. AZCAN’s armored vehicles are engineered to provide the utmost level of protection to their operators and passengers as well as meet the highest international standards due to their first-class assembly, certified armor and modern electronic components.
At AZCAN, we are constantly monitor the new application implementations to produce highly competitive products that lead us to stay on top of the market. By 2017 we aim to reach a capacity of 50 vehicles per month, which would increase our contribution to the economy and create more employment opportunities within the country.
– One of areas of functioning of AZCAN is armouring of civilian, military and police vehicles. What kind of innovations did AZCAN applied in this area and what know-hows were presented?
– AZCAN aims to deliver innovative solutions and know-hows with every vehicle it builds. As a manufacturer we realize how important is to be a specialist in your area. But at the same time we realize that it’s impossible to be a speacialist in everything within a wide industry, so we highly value our partners who allow us to provide our clients with top-notch security solutions. For instance, AZCAN is an exclusive provider of the unique fire source detection system, which would be unveiled at ADEX-2016.
Thanks to contribution of our partners, our armored vehicles are able to provide best possible protection and comfort to the driver and passengers due to integrated defence solutions and features. To date, AZCAN supplies vehicular applications within the realms of chemical attack protection, riot control, surveillance, fire sourcing, signal jamming, command and control as well as drone detection.
– Do you have plans to create an enterprice with the aim to produce, modernise and armor vehicles? In general, what’s your opinion on this issue?
– Opening of the local manufacturing facility is one of the top priorities for our company. Currently, we are in process of establishing a plant, which would operate according to Azerbaijani and Canadian safety and quality standards. By utyilizing local labor and resources, we aim to contribute to country’s economy and place Azerbaijan among the leading high quality armored vehicles manufacturers in the world. At AZCAN, we make every possible effort to become a socially responsible local manufacturer, who exports its products worldwide.
– During assymetric wars, producers of military equipment have to work much and present innovations. Handmade explosives installed on road sides are main threat for the vehicles. As AZCAN, what do you think about it and what kind of innovations did you applied for the vehicles in this regard?
– At AZCAN, we constantly monitor threat levels around the globe and investigate the most effective ways to keep our clients safe. On one hand, this includes everything that could be done in house by our engineers from developing the latest in composite materials to various engineering advances. All our materials and componets are tested by international third party labratories as well as by our own experts in Toronto, Canada.
On the other hand, the most effective way to protect the vehicle and its passengers is to prevent the attack. Together with our partners, we constantly develop the new technologies helping us to do so. Our innovative systems include advanced drone and fire detection devices, remote explosives signal jamming as well as active and passive armor and others. Ultimately, each security solution provided by our company depends on the customers’ requirements and budget.
– What vehicles will you demonstrate at ADEX? What are your expectations from the exhibition that you are participating for the very first time?
– Being the first Azerbaijani-Canadian manufacturer of armored vehicles, AZCAN will be one of the show’s key participants. At the event, the company will introduce a new lineup of special purpose armored vehicles, including personnel carriers and other tactical vehicles that were specifically designed for export markets. These vehicles are engineered to provide the utmost level of protection to their operators and passengers as well as meet the highest international standards as a result of their first-class assembly, certified armor and modern electronic components.
At ADEX, we are going to officially unveil the AZCAN APC, a multi-functional tactical vehicle, with its advanced security features. Based on client’s request, the model could be customised to serve as an armored personnel carrier, medical evacuation unit, command control unit, etc. The vehicle has just been tested at the company’s testing range in Canada to comply with the latest international safety and quality requirements. The AZCAN APCs will be fully built at the local manufacturing facility with the use of local labour, materials and technologies.
We consider ourselves to be a strong player on the Azerbaijani market who aims to develop long terms partnerships with the stakeholders in order to produce high quality products within the competitive price range. We believe that by being present at ADEX we would be able to display our world-class vehicles and demonstrate their quality as well as build strong mutually beneficial relationships with Azerbaijani officials, investors and others. We believe that the top government and military executives will see a true value at the new AZCAN lineup.
– Do you have any other message for the readers?
– First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to the Azeri Defence magazine for being an outstanding resource in the Azerbaijani defence industry. Thanks to your efforts, the key market players could share information with each other and form mutually beneficial partnerships in order to contribute to the industry.