SARPER Synthetic Aperture Radar System on ANKA is in the Skies
Integration and qualification tests of SARPER™, Turkey’s first Synthetic Aperture Radar system developed by ASELSAN as a reconnaissance and surveillance payload for airborne platforms, were successfully completed in 2016 on ANKA Unmanned Air Vehicle. The serial production of SARPER™, which is fully operational on ANKA, is continuing.
SARPER™ is capable of generating high resolution radar images and detecting moving objects day and night, even under adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, fog and smoke.
SARPER™ features are;
- Stripmap Mode for wide area imaging,
- Spotlight Mode for high resolution imaging,
- GMTI (Ground Moving Target Indicator) Mode for moving object detection,
- Sea Search Mode for detecting targets on sea surface,
- ISAR (Inverse SAR) Mode for imaging targets on sea surface.
At the same time, the development of a new generation lightweight SAR system, which is named as m-SAR, can be integrated to Tactical Unmanned Air Vehicles as well as other airborne platforms has been started in order to fulfill the tactical reconnaissance and surveillance needs of Turkish Armed Forces. m-SAR will feature advanced capabilities such as Dismount Moving Target Indication (DMTI) and Coherent Change Detection (CCD).